Cabot Pueblo Museum
This image shows a small portion of Cabot Pueblo, Desert Hot Springs, CA. This Hopi-style pueblo was hand-built by Cabot Yerxa, of used materials from his original homestead, from abandoned cabins, and hand made adobe bricks he made himself. He began building it in 1941 when he was 60, and continued working on it until his death 23 years later. It is 4 stories high, about 5,000 square feet, has 35 rooms, 150 windows, and 65 doors.
Cabot was one of the three original pioneer homesteaders who settled and began the town of Desert Hot Springs. He was the one who discovered the natural hot mineral springs from which it got its name. He was an adventurer, artist, architect, collector, idealist and visionary. He had developed a strong relationship with Native American tribes in the southwest, and built the pueblo and developed the museum in celebration of these cultures. 1883 - 1965.